Friday, November 11, 2005

de Young


I finally made it over to the new de Young museum in Golden Gate Park. These are my favorite works from the collection: (I was going to provide a link to each, but the images online are horrible so it’s better to get off your lazy ass and view them at the museum.)

Edwin Walter Dickinson: “The Cello Player”
Everett Shinn: “Outdoor Stage, France”
Richard Avedon: “Lew Alcindor, Basketball Player, New York”
Alexander Liberman: “Marcel Duchamp’s Hands Playing Chess”
Thomas Wilmer Dewing: “Elizabeth Platt”
Jefferson David Chalfant: “Bou guereau’s Atelier at the Academie Juilian, Paris”
Bansky: “Have a Nice Day”

“Have a Nice Day” is the image you see above. Those are smiley faces in case you can't tell. It is probably overlooked by most museum attendees because it’s practically hidden and not much bigger than a birthday card. I believe it may have been scotch taped to the wall. Hint: While overlooking the courtyard below, turn your back to the images outside.

Edward Steichen: “Noel Coward”

Quotes by Coward (a 20th Century British renaissance man):
-I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me.
-It is discouraging how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit.
-I'm not a heavy drinker, I can sometimes go for hours without touching a drop.
-I've sometimes thought of marrying - and then I've thought again.

No comments: