Tuesday, July 24, 2007

London Calling


Some people say that I’m lazy and that everything comes to me easily. I think I just know how to relax, which is a skill that is not mastered by most people in the Bay Area. Everybody works hard and plays hard here, but if playtime is what everyone is working so hard for, then why not take advantage of the downtime when work is not on the agenda, especially when you’re receiving an unemployment check that’s equal to 60% of the pay you were previously receiving?

Since I’ve been laid off, I’ve gone to Costa Rica, to the Pacific Northwest (Portland, Seattle, Olympic National Park) to Victoria, British Columbia, I’m about to go to England for the first time, then stopping in Florida and Orange County, and I’m writing this entry (I was forced to write a blog entry by someone who does not appreciate my ability to relax, I’d much rather be sleeping right now, thank you very much, zzzzzzzzzz) from Santa Monica, in a spacious rental apartment that’s two blocks from the beach.

Traveling is perhaps even more tiring and stressful than a full time job! Especially when there’s absolutely no time to plan ahead and just a day or two before the next big adventure. But enough complaining…

In the midst of bustling London I’ll be eating my fish and chips and washing it down with a pint of beer, strolling along the Thames, while my fellow Americans are stuck in the office, until it’s time to get stuck in the traffic on the way home, arriving just in time to get stuck in front of the television to watch The Office.



-A frog in Costa Rica




-The view from the Port Angeles, Seattle to Victoria, BC ferry




-The Hollywood Walk of Fame


Here’s my preliminary itinerary so far (in case you want to live vicariously through me):

July 27-29th: I’ll be staying in the town of Bexley Heath, exploring the villages throughout the county of Kent with my uncle and his mother.

July 30-31st: Well, July 30th is my birthday, and unfortunately, I’ll be turning 26. But what is even more unfortunate is that the Eurostar youth ticket prices are only good for those UNDER 26 on the day of travel. So I may just hop aboard for a ride to Paris or to Brussels just for the hell of it. At least I would get the youth price one way. It will be my first birthday abroad and the first time I’ll be celebrating alone, so I guess I will HAVE to enjoy at least a whole bottle of champagne by myself!

August 1-4th: I’ll be exploring London in all its glory. I’ll most likely meet up with my friend Jasp, a local who will lead me to the best pubs and clubs in the city!

August 5-6th: I’ll meet back up with my uncle and his father, this time around, for a relaxing last few days in the seaside town of Brighton.

After that…it’s back to Florida for 2 days to see my mom and her six cats, two of my sisters and a couple of friends (and during those two days my mom’s making me get a blood test for an updated life insurance plan and she has some kind of photo shoot with some photographer she knows lined up that I have to unwillingly participate in…and I thought I’d just get to bum around on the beach!!!).

Then…I fly to Orange County for Lynda and Alan’s wedding and then finally drive back up to San Francisco with Minhlan on the 12th of August.

After all of that, I’m gonna need a vacation!

No comments: